Fisheries science is the academic discipline of managing and understanding fisheries. It is a multidisciplinary science, which draws on the disciplines of limnology, oceanography, freshwater biology, marine biology, conservation, ecology, population dynamics, economics and management to attempt to provide an integrated picture of fisheries.
Fisheries management draws on fisheries science in order to find ways to protect fishery resources so sustainable exploitation is possible. Modern fisheries management is often referred to as a governmental system of appropriate management rules based on defined objectives and a mix of management means to implement the rules, which are put in place by a system of monitoring control and surveillance.
Consultation and Scoping
- Client advice
- Regulatory body liaison and consultation
- Fisheries and fish ecology legislation and policy
- Feasibility studies and scoping
- Desktop fisheries studies (inc. site information, scientific literature constraints mapping, data, analysis and results)
Survey and Analysis
- Capturing fishermens knowledge on maps through interview
- Socioeconomic analysis, e.g. assessing the impacts of fisheries displacement
- Fish migration and assessing barriers for passage
- Site selction for aquaculture
- Noise measurement (in collaboration with Kongsberg Maritime), and modelling to identify potential risk to sensitive receptors.
Reporting and Management
- Scoping reports, pre-application consultation and site optimisation;
- Environmental impact assessment (EIA)
- Ecological impact assessment (EcIA)
- Appropriate assessment (Natura 2000 sites)
- Habitat and species protection / management plans
- Local Marine Spatial Plans
- Commissioned and scientific reports
- Scientific articles and publications
- On-site progress and monitoring reports
Marine Atlas Consultants fish ecology and fisheries project experience
Lorraine has a PhD in fish ecology /ecotoxicology and she provides fisheries advice to a number of clients through Xodus Group who have given Marine Atlas Consultants an exciting portfolio of projects: Brae Platform Decommissioning (Marathon Oil), Fisheries and Anchor Interaction with Pipelines (Universal Pegasus), Fish Ecology and Fisheries impact assessments chapters for Hywinds (Statoil), TVL (Hydro), Brims (Hydro) and Westray (DP Energy).